Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Dear Corporation

…timely & relevant poem by Adam Fellnot all poems go to Poets & Writers Picnic, some appear here on occasion. Besides, Adam teaches at Edgewood College, Madison WI, one of us. Poetry, music, art, etc make a  fine break from the ongoing madness of news, calls to action, movement rhetoric. Remember Gregor. If we don't take spiritual nourishment. We could wake up one morning transformed into giant cockroaches, bugs, administrators or other vermin. 


Dear Corporation, 
by Adam Fell

I don't know how to say how I feel politely, or poetically, or without the jugular and collapse of the immediate heart, so tonight, I won't say anything at all. Just stare out the window at our stunned little writhe. Hold back the strongest urge to knock out a few of the capitol's most critical walls, replace its fiber optic cables with lightning bugs, replace the investment bankers all with bunker busters. I lock eyes with the capitol's bright and empty rooms and admit that, sometimes, deep in my affluent, American cells, I miss my body carved to projectile. I miss trebuchet shoulders and knuckles flaked to arrowheads, miss my hands massive and molded from molten to the bolts of ballistas. I miss blackjack and cudgel and quarterstaff and flintlock. I miss pummel and pike and I am not proud of this. I know it's not a healthy feeling. I try to un-arm, to un-cock. I try to practice my breathing. I try The Master Cleanse, The Stationary Bike, The Bikram Sweat, The Contortion Stretch, The Vegan Meatloaf, The Nightly, Scorching Bath, The Leafy Greens and Venom Television, The Self-Mutilation of a Winter's Run, but we can only cleanse our bodies so much before we realize it's not our bodies that need detoxing.


Copyright © 2012 by Adam Fell. Used with permission of the author.

About this poem:
This poem is from Dear Corporation, forthcoming from H_NGM_N Books in 2013. 

Poetry by FellI Am Not a Pioneer
December 12, 2012
Adam Fell is the author of I Am Not a Pioneer (H_NGM_N Books 2011). He lives in Madison, Wisconsin where he teaches at Edgewood College.
Related Poems
by Oliver de la Paz
by Oni Buchanan
by Gail Mazur
Poem-A-Day started as a National Poetry Month program in 2006, delivering daily poems from newly-published poetry titles.
Due to popular demand, Poem-A-Day became a year-round program in 2010, featuring original, never-before-published poems by contemporary poets on weekdays, and classic poems on weekends.
Browse the Poem-A-Day archive for selections since 2010. 



1 comment:

  1. This is so true. Having just been to the Wisconsin capital and capitol, I can somehow see these images more clearly too. Sometimes, we all need a little detoxing. And it's nice to see a fellow colleague within the confines of Academia but also in the realms of poetry. Ah.

    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

pull up a soapbox and share your 2¢

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...