Tuesday, October 26, 2010
Monday, October 25, 2010
Sunday, October 24, 2010
The clip below is, however, the 1st by a New Faculty Majority member, VP Matt William's debut as video auteur. En garde, Cahiers du Cinéma!
Thursday, October 14, 2010
Monday, October 11, 2010
We should make freedom of speech, freedom of the press, and academic freedom universal, thereby guaranteeing that citizens can be informed and can exercise their right of political supervision."
Friday, October 8, 2010
Thursday, October 7, 2010
Word Document Located Here: http://wiki.defendeducation.org/tiki-download_file.php?fileId=22
On Thursday, October 7th, students and workers will participate in the second National Day of Action to Defend Public Education. This is part of a growing movement coming out of California last fall, and on the back of March 4th, the first national day of action for public education. As students are returning to classes for the beginning of another tumultuous school year expected to be wrought with more massive cuts, it is clear to many that the struggle to defend public education has only begun.
Students are also joined by teachers and communities throughout the US. The American Association of University Professors (AAUP), a higher education faculty union, has encouraged their members to join in actions October 7th and distributed to their membership a list of several different actions over the past week as part of "Higher Education is a Public Good" week.
Students are also faced with massive program cuts and racist attacks on Ethnic Studies programs. Organizers throughout the country conducted a week of actions since October 1st, culminating with unified actions for public education and ethnic studies on October 7th.
As public funds that once made the US the best education system in the world disappear, private investors seek deform public education for their purposes, adjusting education to meet the market. The private sector wants to take over education and leave working people with nothing but a shell of the public education system, profiting along the way.
This is not changing – we must take action to make change. The October 7th National Ad-Hoc Organizing Committee to Defend Public Education calls on students, teachers, youth, faculty, staff, workers, and parents to participate in October 7th – the National Day of Actions and Strikes to Defend Public Education, and call for an end to the privatization of education.
Links and Contacts:
- Information on Ethnic Studies Week or One Nation for Public Education: http://www.defendeducation.org/?page_id=979
- AAUP Higher Education is a Public Good Week Information: http://www.aaup.org/AAUP/GR/onenation.htm
- National Press Contacts for October 2nd One Nation for Public Education: Wes Strong – 860-916-2761 – email@example.com; Larry Hales – 720-979-9491 – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Local Press Contacts for October 7th National Day of Action to Defend Public Education, (List in Development):
- Midwest, South, Maine): Marie Follytar, email@example.com, 1 207.899.9498
- New York: Larry Hales, 720-979-9491 firstname.lastname@example.org
- Washington DC: Linsay McCluskey, email@example.com 508-446-6133; Hayden Smith, firstname.lastname@example.org, 703 489 5401
- University of Minnesota: Stephanie Taylor, 605.261.9178 or Tracy Molm 612.432.4766
- Ohio State - Will Klatt, email@example.com, 614-915-8896
- University of Illinois Urbana/Champaign: Ben Rothschild, 847-363-6317, firstname.lastname@example.org
- University of Oklahoma: Matthew Bruenig, 817-437-1223
- Tahereh – Georgia: 678-755-3686
- Eric Gardner, UCLA: email@example.com, 919-218-4446
- Debora Santos, LA: firstname.lastname@example.org, 619-201-2334
- Crystal Sudano – San Diego, email@example.com, 619-922-2355
Wednesday, October 6, 2010
"Did you miss the FRPE/EAC event, "Reclaiming the University: Fulfilling Our Promise to Students and the Public," on September 30? Luckily, a student volunteered to videotape the event and has posted the files on the web, both as a streaming video and as a direct download."
"On October 7th, people throughout the country will be demonstrating to support public education. This date also marks one of the last days people can register to vote for the November election, and so many groups are calling for joint activities to support officials who will defend public education."