Sunday, July 27, 2014

While it's still morning…misc blogkeeping, #adjunct petitions

…because afternoon is matinee time. This may be the last one in the pre COCAL XI series.  I'd as soon not run video posts back to back and, besides, have made some blog page changes, enhancement bordering on clutter. Instead of one over sized blogroll, there are now three. The details are below. I also added translation tool since not all out visitors are Anglophone...and I intend to add more non-Anglophone material.

Now that contributors are prominently featured on the masthead, they can expect more reminding to contribute. +Ana Maria Fores Tamayo, I'm looking at you.

There is still more to do. Numbers tell me that visitors come for the features as much as for the posts. The blog-as-hub offers one stop shopping for social media followers and social media averse alike. There may more of the latter than the FB-centric realize. The FB social model serves them ill or not at all. Email subscription is a somewhat like an automated email newsletter.

On other blogs in the network, Uniting for Equity in Diversity has two new pages: petitions (to collect them in one place for easy signing and sharing) and for resources for helping child refugees. Curated news collections (academic freedom, organizing) are scheduled on Precarity Dispatches but may have to wait for archiving Joe Berry's most recent emailing to COCAL Updates. That depends on how the day falls out, and whether the trolls stay under bridges where they belong. But the precarious faculty blog is just as much about the newsreel, videos, feeds and other blogs (besides mine) to find there. Any network worth its digital salt is a node in and connects with other networks.



86 feeds on precarity bloggers was more than just a bit much. Upshot, orgs, pubs, unions now has  its own widget. The name should explain content, but the short version is that the original is for personal adjunct blogs and this is for blogs that are not: organizations, online publications. I moved 21 feeds there (may have deleted one inadvertently, but have added a few on the way) and will now have room for more. Due to crowding, Adjunct Action was holding down the fort for SEIU's  entire AA Network. The Bay Area and SEIU 200United NYS now have their own links, but the Blogger widget won't accept L.A. I haven't tried the others yet. Local organizers, Jessica Lawless and Sean Collins respectively, might be the difference. I've noticed, however, that many union pages tend to resist feeds, which may have something to do with tracking and collecting information. Want updates? Get on their email list. Fill out a form and register with them.

There are now 69 bloggers on the primary blogroll (sill a lot!) and 28 on orgs etc. Boundaries are porous: this is a network, not the Ivory Silo™ Stacks. I started another for non-adjunct (but still ed relevant) blogs like More or Less Bunk, Remaking the University, Music for Deckchairs, Hack Education, links & commentary and others ~ "neither fish nor fowl"? This one  for myself as much or more than for readers or amorphous greater good. This is the filter my filters (feeds, social media streams, readers) so desperately need. These are the blogs I miss most when overload and distractions interfere with keeping up.

5 comments:

  1. Wow, this is a lot of info to keep up with! But I hear you, and duly noted. As such, you can see that I have been answering on your blogs, and I will do so here as well, and also add another well-deserved petition, but immigration-related: where does that go?

    To accuse a perpetrator and you are sent to jail? To be affirmed right, you are still denied justice? What kind of a system is this that we have in place? The department of justice owes this woman and her family full restitution!

    So check out her petition, which I will also place on your petition link, and sign/share! http://www.change.org/es-LA/peticiones/greg-abbott-asap-help-us-liberate-diana-l-she-is-innocent-the-crime-she-committed-was-to-accused-the-sexual-predator-who-abused-her-daughter-to-silence-her-complaints-a-negligent-judge-sent-her-to-prison?share_id=mgqigggljd&utm_campaign=autopublish&utm_medium=facebook&utm_source=share_petition

    In sol(idarity),



    Ana M. Fores Tamayo
    Adjunct Justice
    Petition: http://petitions.moveon.org/sign/better-pay-for-adjuncts
    Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/AdjunctJustice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. fyi a comment does not count as a contributor's post.

      Also, it may be lazy but I tend ignore urls that are not active links. My guess is that most visitors would do the same. Basically, including inactive urls in comments is not effective. The same goes for the ones in your footer/ signature, which, in comments is more professional looking if no more than a single line

      Delete
    2. When I said "duly noted," I thought you understood I knew what you meant, and I would post something at some point.

      But if you would have also noted, I am beginning to work on my own blog, I cannot and will not go schizophrenic, so I will not post in a thousand directions.

      As to the signature line, I did not realize the links were becoming inactive. When I sign my name with these links, they are indeed active. I don't know what happens to them on this blog, or why they become inactive, but they have, I see. I will not bother writing it again here then.

      BUT I do want you to know that I have been signing this way for a long time, I will not stop doing so because you think it is "not cool."

      I have gotten a lot of people to sign on to my petition through my signature.

      So if you do not like it, sorry. Just ignore it.

      There are not a million lines to my signature, as others, and there is a purpose to my signature, unlike some. A

      Delete
  2. I meant to say WOW in a good way; this is all excellent stuff; I guess I was reading so much I didn't realize that I just put part of my thought and not all.

    As always, you do an excellent job of getting so much done concisely: how do you do it all? Touché!

    In sol(idarity),



    Ana M. Fores Tamayo
    Adjunct Justice
    Petition: http://petitions.moveon.org/sign/better-pay-for-adjuncts
    Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/AdjunctJustice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a suggestion for a short post that should coordinate nicely with promoting Adjunct Justice and your increased blogging there. Write a few paragraphs about your "blogging project."

      Delete

pull up a soapbox and share your 2¢

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...